Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

So I'm not usually the sort of person who makes New Year's Resolutions.  I think that if I have low expectations of success, then I won't feel like a failure.  Case in point, I had wanted to do yoga today but felt too tired from the night before...hence, I've already failed and it is only Jan 1st.

However, I did want to make some resolutions related to health care and this blog.  Thinking about the upcoming year, I will decide what sort of specialty I want to do and apply to residency programs.  It seems like there are a lot of big decisions ahead and I want to try to get the most out of this year.  So I have come up with a few resolutions that I can hopefully work on throughout the year:


  1. Learn about health care policy and debate.  Ok, so this is a huge topic, but I feel like a poor excuse for a medical student when people ask me about how healthcare reform is going to affect doctors.  Also, I know very little about health insurance.  And I've been ignoring the news for way too long, but I think I am reaching the point where these things are going to start to matter much more in my daily life.
  2. Fight the urge to be lazy.  Sometimes on rotations I have opted to sit out on a clinical experience because I was too tired or I wanted to study instead.  This sounds like I am a horrible person, but I think that most med students face a point when they are overtired, overworked, and stressed and they don't put in as much of an effort as they could.
  3. Enjoy the process.  I only have one and a half rotations left in third year!  It is kind of scary that this could be the last time that I see a surgery, deliver a baby, or work with adults (if I do Peds).  I need to just try to learn and see as much as I can. 
  4. Remember why I went to medical school.  It's a long road and I'm in the middle of it now.  It's important to keep the end goal in mind to remember why I started on this crazy journey in the first place.
  5. Keep posting to this blog.  So it can be hard to write posts after coming home from the hospital, but I want to be a bit more consistent in posting.  

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment